"I know my darkness, that i may befriend my darkness and feel enmity no more" -- DFM

Monday 25 January 2010

The long straight road





The zen of automobiles

I long for the infinite
Look to infinity:
That place where the horizon meets
The lip of the earth
Where sky eats its way into the oneness

I yearn for the long, straight road
Where you can gather pace
& merge into the sky
Almost flying
Through the barren winter landscape
Where everything is sodden & bare

Not me though – I am alive
Zooming through this picture
Of myself
Running from my true terror
Behind me, I leave but scatters
Debris from the hubris of my choices

My choices, you see I made them
Not my conditioning
Nor my upbringing
But the product of both
& that part of me that would always be me
essentially, biologically, without all the rest

Immaterial, so be it
Not everything can mate with matter
But to be immaterial would be to
Have no connection to the ancient mother
& what would anything ‘be’ if not from the
womb of the earth, the sun, the moon, the stars?

If not the womb of the universe then what?
What matters, is what is inside you truly
I cannot pretend to know the truth anymore
Than any other, for the ‘truth’ is only what we know it to be
Our truth, the truth of our soul
Gasping for meaning

& yet you glimpse it and it is gone
Here – now – gone
Like the very breath of the invisible
Was the very breath of the cosmos
And the breath of every living thing
Material and immaterial!



No comments:

Post a Comment